Monday 10 December 2007

Studio Virgin


I have a workshop at home which I am totally comfortable working in. It's in an old stable with a 3/4 wall and a horse in the stall next door. It's also definitely more of a summer space than a winter one, though i have just rendered it waterproof. A timely occurence given the grey skies and relentless rain. As a space it's versatile, doesn't matter if it gets dirty, well ventilated for resin work and other toxic substances. A studio though,white, pristine, empty. And what's more is....I have never worked in a studio before. I am unfamiliar in it's shape and form. It is uncomfortably empty. I am a hoarder, a filler of space with junk, trinkets, things which may come in handy. So how am I going to work in it? How will I make the most of the opportunity? I hope the hows and the whats do not render me the rabbit in the headlights. How do I make it mine (or the part of it which is mine as i am to share with George for the duration....the space is ample enough to accomodate two easily). Already nearly a month is gone and christmas looms. Due to the delays i took on another project...compiling and editing a book which has eaten in to the available time. Also i live nearly 40 miles from the studio which is another consideration. However that rural -urban split may well be a source of inspiration.

1 comment:

the studio pros said...

dear studio virgin.

tip of the day for adapting to studio life: get yerself a kettle. if in doubt, make a brew. you can always translate what the leaves say into textart.

we went on a flying top carousel at the carnies tonight. it scared the bejesus out of me but karen seemed ok.

love the studio pros.