Wednesday 9 January 2008

Floored

I tend to make things on the fly or in a spontaneous manner. I don't dwell on what it is i am going to make - it just comes into my head and i make it. I am not a perfectionist. I make do with what i have to hand or what is easily available. Hopefully that is cheaply too. So i have this friend who is looking to off load a whole load of parquet. It's already been an artwork. So i quite like that recycling thing. That lack of preciousness. And Parquet. Well, there's a word. It just sounds pretentious, up itself - at the end of the day it's just a floor.

This parquet is blocks. Old recycled blocks - even prior to being an artwork by Susan T Grant - not tongue and groove. I like the blocks. They are solid. Small and solid. Coloured and discoloured by time. Like a little piece of history. Each block with its' own memory. It's own story. And now it has one more. At the moment i only have one small box. It's not just a straight forward transaction. I get to buy a share in half of it. Get access to it all and then have to store the half which isn't mine. It also fits into the accumulation of stuff, clutter - that ocd-esque satisfaction thing going on. Lots of bits that get put together to make a bigger bit.

No comments: